
We won the Sarasota Chamber of Commerce Minority Business of the Year!!! woohoo!
The awards ceremony was yesterday, attended by over 600 business, political and community leaders. The press was there - I was interviewed by a local television station and a very nice article ran on the front page Business section of 2 newspapers.
I don't even remember what I said during my acceptance speech. All I remember is some laughter (I think I made a joke) and applause for saying something a little controversial.
The award that we won is titled "Minority Business of the Year" - while I am very honored to receive the award, it kinda hit a nerve with me. When we were growing up in Nebraska in the 70's, we were minorities. Moving to Los Angeles and San Francisco, we were just one of many cultures and races. I don't think I even used the word minority when we lived in CA.
Sarasota/Bradenton is not Nebraska, but it is not Los Angeles either. In the spirit of diversity and forward thinking, I believe that the Sarasota Chamber really needs to re-think this category.
My kids don't know the word "minority." They know "Chinese American" and "Asian" - but I never taught them the word "minority." Thats because they shouldn't have to know this distinction. We are a human race, all different shades of colors, and we should totally celebrate our culture. But to have a word that distinguishes Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Middle Easterners...basically any other race that is not Caucasian....in this day and age is just not right. Its time to retire the word "minority" and celebrate cultural differences of all races.
I do not want my kids to have to be labeled anything other than just a kid.
So I guess that while flattered with this award, I hope that I can give a different perspective to the community.
