Sunday, October 29, 2006

Knitted Stocking


Nathan's stocking, originally uploaded by jadenhair.

This must be my month of finishing. I'm getting good at not starting a new project until I've finished another. This was based on Nicky Epstein's free pattern floating on the web. It took a LONG time to find this pattern - I don't think its well known. Other than the stocking dimensions, candy cane and holly leaves, the rest of the stocking design is my own. I think it needs one or two more things (and the back is plain), but I wanted to leave room for making a new embellishment every year. The off-white yarn is not 100% wool - its a very soft, fluffy yarn I found at Jo-ann. I had to trim with red furry fabric so that we could stuff the stocking with goodies without stretching it out. I still need to embroider Nathan's name on it. (Mimi is making Andrew's stocking). I also used the knitting machine that my friend Jan taught me how to use on the body of the stocking. It only took 10 minutes to knit!

I also used the knitting machine on the gray sweater that I am wearing in the previous post. Thank you Jan for teaching me!

Next project will be to finish this project that I started a few months ago.